Sunday, March 10, 2013

Capt. Harley Wayne


Capt. Harley Wayne

       From the Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Illinois
D Co. 15th Ill. Vol. Inf.
Three Years Service
Lead Mine Regiment, Washburn
   Enlisted April 27, 1861.
   Home of record listed as Union, Ill's.

      Notice: May 9, 1861 issue The Elgin Gazette.
   McHenry county has three companies in the regiment.  The one from Algonquin, Capt. Henry; one from Woodstock, Capt. C. D. Kelly; and one from Union and Marengo, Capt. Harley Wayne.

   Commissioned May 24, 1861 at Freeport, Ill's.


In Camp
Freeport - May 11/61
   I have arrived and commenced the labor part of my duties to my country I have been laboring hard to get my boys fed and a place to sleep comfortably.  I have more care than ever I had before on my mind.  We are scantily supplied with blankets and the boys I am afraid will not sleep warm.  Those Blankets sent from Marengo are a Splendid thought.  Otherwise we should have been entirely destitute.  The Officers are quartered in a building enclosed all round and quite comfortable so that while we stay here we shall be comfortable except sleeping on hard straw beds.
   Straw beds.  I said they are nothing short.  Loom straw throwers on the Ground for my men and on Boards for us in berthes Sunday morning, May 12, I was up till 1 o'clock this morny to get the men comfortably covered.  I got 60 Blankets for the men about midnight and went round and covered them all who were not supplied by the Kindness of Marengo friends and this morny they come out bright & feeling well.  Now the eating fare.  Take a fire on the mound & slice of Raw beef on a sharp stick & smoke & burn it a little and Bread is the whole food.  We have potatoes but no kettles to cook them in.  Shall have some soon,   Hard fare I will assure you but we will get accustomed to it Soon and have more conveniences.  So that in a few days we shall live comfortably.  We are not apprised as to what our destination is at all.  Because of the fight in St. Louis we are apprehensive that we may be called out early.  Whatever may be in Store for us.  The boys gernerally Manifest the Spirit to go right on with us.  I found one crying this morning but he says he will get over that.  I tried to comfort him but had hard work to keep from joining him.  I do hope you can arrange to enjoy yourself.  And be happy.  I wish your welfare and happiness from the bottom of my heart.  Care for Charley and have him be good.
Your Affectionate
Harley Wayne
_________________________________________________________________________________

Camp Scott May 22, 1861
Dear Wife,
   I am Surprised I do not her from you and it is a Source of disquietude every day & hour to be disappointed and be expecting to hear from you i am well.  And my family also generally.  There has been one boy under the Doctors care for two or three days.  And is getting better.  The exposure to cold is considerable and they are very careless at times.  I have the most difficulty in Keeping them steady and making them behave themselves.  Many of them are rough hard fellows and when it comes on me to control and Keep in proper bounds Such men it is rather hard work.  I wrote you about coming out here and urged you considerable to come as I do not know when I can come home.  Are you Coming?  We are yet in doubt about going to I am well as ever My nose os Sore but it will come out of the war tougher if I live.  Send up those things I need in the trunk at once.  John Passed thru here to Chicago last night.  He is accepted from Iowa And I presume we Shall meet somewhere perhaps on the field of Strife.  I should have been glad to have had him in the Company or Regiment But it cannot be I presume.
Yours Every
Affectionately
Harley Wayne
_________________________________________________________________________________


Camp Scott May 31, 1861
Dear Ellen,
   I cannot come tomorrow.  As I am officer in charge of the camp in the absence of Col. Lumus and Ellis I reject it if you were expecting me and I suppose you were.  Another thing that prevents My coming I have some hard rough boys and find that the longer that we remain here the more restive and uneasy they become and I can control them getter than any one else.  We expect to receive orders for leaving here in the course of the week And we feel that it cannot be too Soon.  We are here So close to this town that it requires a great Effort to Keep the boys from being demoralized by its many unholy influences.  The promise to their parents and friends to defend their sons against these dangers shall be fulfilled if it costs me any amount of care and labor.  I presume that it will Scarcely be appreciated by their friends And yet I cannot but feel that I can Save the boys from being ruined Morally I will come home before I leave here And Make you a visit.  I have waited about your bonnet until to night thinking i would come home this week but now I will Send it down by Ward or Louie one going down in the morning.  I have not been downtown Since you left but once and that was on Wednesday when I was invited to a dinner given to the Captains of the Regiment.  It was a Splendid affair.  It was given by Mrs. Shaffer and Consisted of five courses 1st was meats of all Kinds.  2nd was pudding.  3rd Pies of different Kinds and Cakes 4tf Ice Cream 5th Nuts Raisins Apples Oranges etc.  The plates and dishes changed Every time.  Tea & Coffee Served from a Silver Service.  Well it was made to be the biggest thing in the town.  I was invited Again this Evening by Mrs. Turner to Supper but refused to go As being officer in Charge of the Camp.  And there being large excitement among the men I thought best to Remain.  How do you get along about another Girl.  Does Not Morgiana Stay?  I am afraid Charley will have the measles Altho there has been no new cases here yet we expect it.  Write me often and long and tell me Every thing.   the war.  The Regiment is accepted but we may not have a Regiment to go.  There is quarrelling and dissension in the camp and I am afraid it will break us up.  So that we cannot go in to the army.  We Shall Know in a few days what our destination will be.  I wish to See you.  Any way during the week and desire you to come out.  i have no time to write any more.  My warmest heart felt love to you and Charley.
Harley Wayne
_________________________________________________________________________________

Camp Scott June 17, 1861
Dear Wife
   I have only time to say that we leave here tomorrow morning & that the crowd of business upon me demands every moment of my time.  I wish to say that I shall have more time at my command when i can get my men to the new Camp And can come home or if not convenient you can come to me.  Alton is only about 60 or 70 miles beyond Springfield.  Be of Good Cheer our March is onward.                                                                                                                                                     Affectionally.
Harley Wayne
_________________________________________________________________________________

Camp Alton
June 21, 1861
My Dear Ellen
   I embrace this opportunity to inform you that I am in place according to orders with my company in good health and condition.  Every man is well and Enjoying himself as well as could be expected.  We have harder fair in the way of provisions than before confined pretty closely to Bread meat & coffee for Breakfast, Meat Bread & coffee for Dinner & coffee meat & Bread for supper.  And the Soft Earth (Clay) for our bed at night.  I have Slept two nights on the ground and enjoy it tolerabley.  can Sleep better than i expected.  have a Small tent to myself and let the boys in for accommodation for the present.  We are near enemies here and teh boys are more on the alert.  do not desire to run around much.  We were inspected Yesterday by Maj. Morly of the U.S. Army who pronounced us in every respect the best appointed volunteer Regiment he had seen and intimated that one of the four Regiments now here would be ordered off at once to some active duty in Missouri Kentucky or Virginia.  We are here for work and when ready by discipline and drill work is our duty.  work against our country's enemies for all of which we are ready.  The Weather is very dry & hot Sultry we do not have any good water & not very much at that which is a great want with us.  Good water if better than gold.  We lay in the Shade in the middle of the day and drill morning & evening when it is cool.  The heat is no more than we frequently have at home but the air seem more heated and enervating than the breezes on our prairie.  We think we Shall be called to change our position soon & therefore are not Making great demonstrations in the way of fitting up teh Camp.  I was very grateful for the box strawberry sent me to Freeport and enjoyed them much thinking that they were from home and above all gathered from the plants cultivated by myself and picked by your own hands.  Write me often and do not think that I shall always be so glad to hear from you.  I will write you often as time and circumstances will permit And hope I can let you Know my health and where I am every week at least.  I hope you and Charley well be well.  The Scarlet fever you know will be apt to pass us by if we stay at home.  I think the child of Tourles was exposed to the measles at Freeport and will carry them to Union.  be careful of them at present as I want to assist you when charley is Sick.  Tell Charley to be a good boy to mind you & never tell a lie & then his pa when he comes from the war if he lives will love him.  Remember me to all friends.
Yours every Affectionally
Harley Wayne
_________________________________________________________________________________

   Article: July 3, 1861 issue Elgin's Weekly Gazette.
FROM OUR CORRESPONDENT.
CAMP AT ALTON, ILL.
JUNE 21st, 1861
   The intelligence that the 15th regiment was ordered to Alton to perfect its drill and be inspected for active service, was received at Camp Scott on the morning of the 16th, and created an excitment unsurpassed by anything since the regiment first went into encampment.  Eight o'clock on Tuesday was fixed for the hour of march.  The interval of time was spent in receiving knapsacks and other outfit, packing and arranging clothing and blankets, cooking and distributing rations for a two days march, and making every arrangement for the command "forward march."

   Sunday was more that usually quiet in camp.  Large squads attended divine service in the morning at the several churches in the city, and in the afternoon unusually impressive services were conducted on the camp ground by the Chaplain, Rev. D.,E. Holteman, aided by several of the resident clergymen.  In addition to the regiment, an immense throng of citizens were present.  All felt that this was our farewell meeting; and never were soldiers more feverently commended to God, than were the men of the 15th regiment that holy Sabbath afternoon.
   Monday was spent as Saturday, in busy preparation for the march, of the morrow.  The aspect of the camp during the day was not only busy, but most cheerful; the men were in the best possible spirits, and everything indicated that all preparation would be made, and every man would be in his place at call.
   At 8 o'clock Tuesday morning the regiment formed in line upon its parade ground and marched through the city to the depot, where cars were in waiting to take the men forward.  The quickness and precision with which the various movements were executed and the soldierly bearing of the men on the march attested the fact that the regiment is well officered, and that the month spent in encampment at Freeport has been ***** to the best ad advantage.
   All along the line of march crowds greeted the soldiers.  It was by no means an ordinary crowd.  Well dressed ladies, men of wealth and influence, whose checks would be honored at any bank, were there to cheer the men and assure of their deep interest in them.  They were witnessing the departure of the 15th regiment, commanded by one of their most esteemed citizens, and in whose ranks were their own sons and brothers.  Though the skywas bright overhead that morning and flags waved gaily over them, their faces wore a grave look, not sad exactly, but it was no time for mirth-not as on festival occasions, not soon the reception of prince or president-but nobly and sternly, as men going to war.  The regiment passed over the line of march; hurried was their step and firm their look, not so regular as when in the camp and surrounded by friends, but firmer like men determined to do or die!
   There were many touching sense of farewell takings, but these were only episodes-mothers, wives, sisters will weep in such occasions; but there was no faltering among the men.  A heartier shake of the hand then usual to a dear friend; a warmer kiss, let is be reverently said-to a wife or mother, and sister, and the manhood of the soldier grew greater; and he trussed his knapsack the tighter to his back, and grasped his musket firmer as he gave the last adieu.
   The line of march through the city was a complete ovation-thousands lined the side walks.  It will be remembered by those who saw it as long as they live to talk about it, and will pass into the recorded history of this fearful struggle.  We saw anxious women-we saw strong men shed tears, and the soldiers passed.  Amid the deafening cheers we heard the cries, "God bless them,"  "God bless the 15th regiment;" and so through the several streets lined with crowds of spectators and waving with countless flags, the 15th regiment left Freeport.
   The excitement along the entire route was scarcely less intense.  At every station the people turned out in crowds.  White handkerchiefs waved by ladies hands were as numerous as the dogwood blossoms in the spring; and it was proved that an Illinois Sncker can cheer as loud and long as a new York or Massachusetts Yankee; and so it was until we reached Alton on the Mississippi.
   Our reception at Alton was decidedly cool-no crowds and no enthusiasm; no welcome and no hearty "God bless you."  The men felt is most keenly.
   Our present camp is located two miles from Alton.  The ground selected is by no means desirable for a permanent location.  The springs designed to furnish water for the several regiments failed the first day.  Today water is brought into camp from well and springs more than 2 miles distant.  The Colonels are now exploring the country for another encampment.
   The following regiments are now upon the ground: The 15th regiment, Col. Turner commanding; the 17th regiment, Col. Ross commanding; the 20th regiment, Col. Marsh commanding; the Chicago Heclton regiment, Col. Heckton commanding.  Col. Wyman's regiment is expected here next week from Caseyville, where he is now arranging a brigade encampment.  Col. Turner's regiment occupies the extreme right in the brigade, and thus he is senior and commands.
   Yesterday Major Marcy, of the United States army, spent the day in the camp, and inspected the several regiments for the purpose of aquainting the War Department with their fitness for imedeate service.  I was present during the inspection of the 15th regiment and am confident from what I saw and heard, that this regiment will but be the last called into active service.  More amon.
                                                                                                                                               D.E.H.
  ______________________________________________________________________________



Camp Pope
July 13, 1861
My Dear Ellen,
   I have just recd, your letter by hand of Mrs. Peny and was very much distressed to learn your feelings,  I do want you to be cheerful and happy and to do so you Must leave borrowing trouble,  I may die in battle or by disease,  I might were I to remain at home,  one thing be sure, i shall not die by battle or desease as quickly by fearful forebodings.  I have no alarm, no fear, Why in Battle seldom more than two or three in a thousand or ten thousnad are Killed.  We have more to apprehend from Sickness and we are very free from anything dangerous as yet.  I send you herewith $60 hoping that you will have some to use and that if any to spare you let Alden have some.  I send you also my pass on Ill. Central Rail Road with instructions to come down here if you are well and do not leave that we are ordering away say Thursday or Friday of next week.  We cannot tell one hour what we shall do the next only we do not expect to go to Missouri.  I Should have had you come down sooner only i could not get any encouragment as to the time we would stay here.  If you dare venture it (I hardly dare) for fear of finking that we have gone.  Go to Freeport on Thursday noon train.  Take the night train to Pana and from there first train to Alton.  Understand Go to Freeport then your pass on the Central Road will pass you down to Pana then you will have to pay to Alton some $2.00.  If I can meet you I will, if not take the Omnibus to Camp.  Stop at the Alton House if you have occassion to stop at Hotel, bring a trunk with Sheets only, and perhaps a quilt, we can get along very well I guess if we only stop here.
Yours Ever Affectionately

Harley Wayne
_________________________________________________________________________________


Mexico Mo. July 26, 1861
Dear Wife
   I address you from this point for the purpose of informing you that we arrived here last night from St. Charles Mo---and that we are all well and have but little prospect of a fight---Secession hides its head before us---and refuses to manifest itself while we are around.  We are much at loss to know what policy to adopt with them---That they are enemies we have no doubt---But unless they do something we cannot see how to take hold of them---We do not expect to Stay here long, There is nearly 12,000 men in North Missouri doing nothing but watch for the action of one fourth this number of Secessionists---Whom we know nothing about.  The recent terrible battle in Virginia will make some hard work We expect to make a Southern movement very soon and hope ton have a chance to do our part---We cannot rest satisfied with the Ever monononous routine of Camp life without some work or excitement.  July 28 Sunday Morning there being no mail but once a week Mondays I have not finished this letter on that account---We are more or less in a fever to day for Since I have been writing a train with one car has arrived with as we suppose orders for us---Should we be ordered away very far You should direct your letters to me in the following Manner
Capt. H. Wayne
Co. D. 15th Regt.
Illinois Volunteers
(via St. Louis Mo.)
That direction will Send the letter to me at any point.
   It is very hot to day the boys are melting almost in the Sunday 2 PM.  We are ordered away 25 miles South of here to Fulton---and do not know what is before us---I do want you to write to me Every few days---and let me know all about affairs---I have not heard from you Since Elder Halteman came down and I am in great anxiety about you.
   I wish you to not have to much anxiety about me I shall try to keep a Stiff upper lip and try to do my duty and thus trust to luck for Safety & Success.  We do not expect to have a fight to day---On this march---The country is all quiet and we are going to keep it So---I have recd. to day a letter from John dated 22nd July.  John was in the whole fight at Monroe---Says a man rose up out of the brush and aimed deliberately at him---His ball struck the ground right at his feet and threw the dirt over him---John then fired at him---and John says his boys all say "That he hit him and give him the credit of Killing the first man"---John was in the front of the company and made a good fight---I am proud of him and his conduct---My boys are all well with the exception of Harvey Huntington and John W. Burst who have Sore Eyes---One of them is quite bad and we shall have to leave them both here they cannot march.
   This will reach you in time Say one week and I want you to write me often Tell Alden to write and tell him how to direct I cannot write more now---Oh Ellen I wish I could See you I know you were comfortable with this receive the most intense love and affection for yourself and Charley My dearest boy & wife from your ever.
Harley Wayne
_________________________________________________________________________________



   Notice; July 31, 1861 issue of Elgin's Weekly Gazette.
Colonel Turner's Regiment.
   This Regiment, the 15th Illinois, is now at Mexico, Missiouri.
   The Chaplain writes us as follows;
   you may send all the reading matter you may have for the soldiers to my care at Mexico, Andrain county, Mo., via St. Louis.
   We are encamped within a mile of this place, and shall perhaps remain here for ten or twelve days.  Should we not all in ilmatter will be sent after us, as both postoffice and railroad are in the hands of and run by, the Government.
   There are five regiments here, and scouting parties are sent out daily.
   It is expected that the country will be quiet in a short time.
Very truly yours,
D. E. Halteman
_________________________________________________________________________________


Fulton Mo. Aug. 2, 1861
My Dear Ellen
   You will See by the above that I am away in the centre of Missouri only 22 miles from Jefferson City of in Calloway County---I have not heard from you Since I recd your letter by Elder Halteman---of course I am exccedingly anxious to hear from you---I dont know why I do not get letters from home I have not heard from home Since I left Alton---I am very well, have had a tramp of 25 miles on foot and Stood it first rate---I am comfortabley situated as ever I was---Since I have been in the Army.
   My boys are behaving admirably and I am getting along better---With them They are temperate and Steady to *****they were at Freeport or Alton---The March from Mexico was commenced Monday at 11 o'clock at night---Excepting only the time Spent in cooking & eating on the road and we traveled about 16 Miles---Arrived here Tuesday noon 25 Miles---We are encamped in the Fair Ground adjoining the City and have plenty of water & Shade---But the Sun is awful hot.  We can hardly drill in the Middle or after part of the day.  I have Ward with me does nothing but wait on me and help about Keeping my things in place and in order You ought to See him Washing shirts and socks---He does it very well---I wear nothing but woolen shirts that do not require ironing.  I hire my Linen coat & fine shirts washed and wear no collors---Ward is faithful & true & I can trust him with Every thing.  He enjoys himself very well.  Mrs. Curtis came to Alton the day before we left there---and has been with us ever since---but I tell you it is a hard place for a woman and what is worse Curtiss does nothing at all but hang round with her---I have had no help from him for two weeks---The Trip from Mexico here on top of a load of goods & tents was a hard one for her and lying on the ground is pretty rough for her---Should we be attacked or Should we march out to attack the enemy---What would become of her if Curtiss was in his place with the company---We are in the enemies Country the people intensely hostile against us and are no doubt watching to get the advantage of us---We place no confidenced in them and are Keeping a careful watch on their actions.  We have sent out Spies this morning to See if there is any thing up around us---We hear of a camp of 800 about 25 miles West of here and we watch for information about them from Every source.  We think however that we can Keep them off by carefully watching them---We Recd. a mail this morning from Mexico and of course I expected a letter from you Alden or Somebody---but no one came.  Why don't you write---direct to where you knew we were last if you don't know where we are it is just as well the letters come right on---after us---Our boys recd. a good many letters Robt. Andrews Says you are well---on the 24th.  Why dont you write me---I hope to See you one of these days we Shall be directed---further East and I can come home I think and I will if I can---Try to write me Every 3 or 4 days---That I may know how you are---Direct letters to me Co. D. 15th Regt. Ills Volunteers Fulton Mo. via St. Louis.
   I send you a paper printed here which is a vile Secession paper and which we think we shall have to break it up---I think of you Every day and wish I could See and know how you are---Do write me & tell me all.
Yours ever affectionately
Harley Wayne
_________________________________________________________________________________


Jefferson Barracks Mo.---8 miles below St. Louis on board steamer Jeanine Deans, Aut. 13, 1961
My Dear Wife
   I embrace this moment to write you to say that I have Recd. your letters of July 28 and Aug. 5 and was so glad to hear from you that you were well.  We left Fulton Mo. on the 8th and marched to St. Aubert a landing on the Mo. River 15 miles took the Steamer on the 10th and ran down the river to St. Charles when we stopped for all night then on Sunday at 1 o'clock came down here.  We hear a rumor that there has been a terrible battle between Lyon and the Secessionist at Springfield and that Lyon has been defeated.  We wre ordered at 2 o'clock to day to go to his assistance and at 6 PM We are aboard the boat for St. Louis to take the train for Rolla South West to assist him.  We Shall be aboard to night some time
Incomplete
__________________________________________________________________________________

Camp on the Lamine
Dec 29, 1861
My Dear Ellen
   I was very glad to get your litter and Charley's picture by Reny.  The letter and picture were at once Sources of pleasure and pain I could See the pretty features and the loving beaming eyes of my noble darling boy but I could not hear his voice nor could I grasp him in fond embraces as my whold Soul yearned to do *** and I was sad your litter although full of love and affection made me ungappy that you should feel so sad and repining at the lot before us **** that our separation and consequent anxiety Should outweigh and overvbalance the duty which everyone owes his country in its hour of peril *** it is hard *** it is painful thus to be separated and I feel it Keenly feel it ****It does not hlp the caswe however to be constantly repining and mourning over a manifest destiny to me **** Your reproaches of want of affection for you and my dear boy (which I need not refute) cannot move me.  My owjn honor.  Your honor.  Charley's honor and the good name of us all are dependent upon my fulfilling my vows and duty to my own native land**** and I here promise you in the presence of God our master.  that thugh I die in conflict or by disease or languish in the Prisons dangerous though it cost me all I have and am and are I will try to do my duty so well that you shall not ve disgraced or ****** of me living or dying.  I shall try to do what ever duty calls me to do & if I live return.
   I regret that I cannot come and see you.  I feel that I am entitled to the favor but it cannot be granted so let it be.  Reny says you asked him very earnestly if I Swore and got drunk.  How chilish to imagine and thus to betray a want of confidence to me by admitting Such possibilityies.  I think your credulity could be and is practiced upon wonderfully.  You Do not believe such things & if you do not believe why pretend you do.  I have taken some cold but am very well not withstanding *** Cough some *** not bad ***shall be very careful of my health **** Ward isw quite low *** thinks he is getting better.  Frank Lillibridge is still dangerous *** is worse than last Friday when I saw him loast.  Mrs. Read is with him **** Do write me often and send me your picture.  Tell Charley I was pleased very with his picture and letter.  I will write to him again soon I am as every yours.
Harley Wayne
_________________________________________________________________________________


Fort Donelson Tenn.
Feb. 18, 1862
Dear Wife
   I embrace the present opportunity to address you.  I have not written you Since I left home because I have since the 5th Feb. had no time.  I arrived in camp at Otterville Jan 31st as I expected and found the boys in used condition.  I had a large amt of work to do to get the company affairs in Shape **** and wrote y express to Alden.  So you knew of my safe return on the 5th Feb.  We recd orders to prepare to march and on the morning of the 7th being very cold.  we started and marched toward Jeff City *** and arrived on the 10th *** on the 12th at 4 AM we were aroused and prepared to march to Rail Road and took cars and was in St. Louis morning of the 13th.  Went aboard Steamer D A Chaunsey and Started Just at night for Cairo.  Next night arrived at Cairo Feb 14th Next morning found ourselves at Paducah being Saturday the day of the heaviest fighting at Donelson.  **** **** ***** the Cumberland and found ourselves Sunday morning 16th about 25 miles below but we hastened forward and arrived about 11 oclock and found the fort in our Possession having surrendered at 10 am an hour before we arrived.  The white flag was raised on their works at Sunrise so that there had been no fighting that morning but the agreement as to terms delayed the final Surrender and excitement as existed all round.  We landed or touched on shore and received on board about 500 Prisioners.  I was officer of the day and it was my duty to take the entire control of them.  I had to examine them individually and take away all weapons, Pistols knives etc.  A great many Bowie Knives hideous looking weapons were forced from them besides a great many pistols & revolvers.  *** one an officer yet had his sword, I asked him to deliver it up, He hesitated Said it was worn by his father on the Battle field of New Orleans and he regarded it as he did his life.  I told him he had forefeited his right to the relic by his treason and that he must deliver it up.  I heard his deep down Sigh as he unbuckled it from his waist and handed it over and could but pity the man when his affection and respect for his fathers name prompted him to resist the Surrender of his sword which he claimed and never known dishonor before.  Col Bailey the commander of the Regt came in time to be searched and I found upon him three heavy colts revolvers of the most approved pattern.  I have managed to secure one of them as my own.  I took it from him upon Search *** he denying that he was armed.  It is a splendid weapon beautifully mounted with silver.  After a careful Search We stowed them almost as close as ******** ***** **** ******* with a great many during the night belonging to this Regt. (the 49th Tenn Vol) and found but one sentiment among the soldiers and but little else among the officers **** and that is that they had no heart to fight and that they were forced by public opion to take up arms.  That the vast multitude even Swayed by the leading minds among them and forced them under threats to enter the army.  They say that they can hardly feel sorry that they are prisoners **** and they think the war nearly over.  rumors of the evacuation of Bowling Green reach us from Secrete Sources *** and we think it must soon be done if not already as our position is now ready in rear of them.  I was out on the Battlefield yesterday and my taste for the horrable was fully gratified.  I Saw hundreds of dead men Scattered all around over miles of ground Surrounding their breast works.  Illinois has bled at Every posi upon the field Surrounding Fort Donelson upon the Right of our line as it advanced upon their breastworks & position Stood the 9th Illinois Supported by the 12th & 41st.  Extending to the Cumberland above the fort.  The 9th had collected to bury in one common grave 65 brave boys who had bled their lives away on the blood stained field the 31st lost largely and also the 11th was badly cut to pieces.  My own impression is that We have lost over 500 killed and I presume 1000 wounded.  As it appears to me we have suffered Largely more than the enemy but that is disputed by many who were in the engagements.  I could See but few dead Secessionists comparatively not more than 150 to 200 but it is said that the enemy buried theirs every night while we were prevented from going on the ground by their batteries to remove ours.  I saw one of the Secissionists in the Most horrable condition worse than dead a Shell had cut his head so that his brains were oozing out, he had laid this insensible for 60 hours and yet he breathed.  our boys poured a little water in his mouth and he swwallowed it, he laid where he was struck upon his back and on the day of his wound there was snow and the night after it rained hard.  I had him got in and cared for the last night.  He cannot live I assure you that the results to or cause are almost incalculabe.  that works of Such Strength an be carried So Soon must strike dispair into the rebel heart.  They had a fortification that was almost impregnable.  I would not think they had any necessity of Surrender that they must have been scared into it Saturday night.  He told them that 100,000 federals would Storm them Sunday morning and at Sunrise they raised their white flat.
   I would not fear but that 10,000 Illinoians could hld this position against all Secession *** Ills.  Boys have gained a reputation upon this field that is worth years of toil***.  The Prisoners numbering Some 10 to 12 thousand are being loaded on boats for St. Louis *** five Boat loads are gone already.  A regiment came up on the East side of the river to reinforce the fort Last night having marced from Bowling Green and not having heard of its Surrender.  Our Picket opened out and let them march right forward until they were completely in our power when they were called on to Surrender.  Imagine their Surprise to find themselves completely over come without firing a gun and with how much Shame and anger they laid down their arms and marched on the boats as prisoners.  Our destination is Said to be up the river further.  Clarksville 12 miles from here has fortifications but it is not thought they will make a stand there.  Nashville 60 miles will be the point when the first stand and where the Next hard fighting will be probably.  We expect to have a hand in it but the move forward not having been ordered of course is involved in a perfect obscurity to us.  We are ready as a company and will do our best.  But as a Regiment (Col. Turner being in command) we are in deplorabele condition.  I do not Know what is before us.  Write me ofter I have not heard from you Since I left home.  I am therefore ancious *** directe as before Company and Regiment via St. Louis.  Give My warmest love to harley aqnd Kiss him for me.
I remain yours ever affectionately
Harley Wayne
_________________________________________________________________________________


Cairo Ills Mch 9, 1862
My Dear Ellen
   I embrace this moments opportunity to write you to say that I am down here from the Cumberland because I am too unwell to remain with the Regiment ****.  Have been quite sick Since the 18th Feb and in Hospital at Donelson for two weeks.  The Regiment was ordered on the 5th to march to Fort Henry to go up the Tennessee and I not being able to go came here hoping to get right and rejoin them before this but being bad off **** yet I start tomorrow morning for St. Louis and if no better ***** Shall try to get leave to com home.  My difficulty is exceeding billiousness resulting in Jaundice.  My Skin & eyes being very yellow.  I write to apprise you of my true condition and to have you not too much disappointed Should I be at home in a day or two now and again to let you know that I am not at present dangerously sick **** as you migtht imagine from my not writing you oftener and from what the boys might write home.  Again you must not be disappointed if I do not come home it will depend on my condition when at St. Louis ***** if my prospects are then fair for recovery I must be with my boys and also under those circumstances I cannot get leave but Should I not be able to go back I can get leave to come home and I shall do so promptly.  I had the very great good fortune to meet John this morning Just down from Mo. and with his Regiment bound up the Tennessee.  John has been very sick and is yet feable sho his spirits and feelings are coming right up now and unless he meets with some pull back he is going soon to be Strong.  I was glad to meet him and the pleasure was untual **** and esteem of the officers of the Regiment and the love oan affedction of his men.
   I received your litter.  I conclude the only one you have written me since I left home,  I will try to help you out of some of your troubles if I came home I can write no more to night.  I I do not reach home now do write me ofterner even if I for any reason fail to write you.
I remain Yours ever affedctionaltely
Harley Wayne
_________________________________________________________________________________

Camp near Pittsburg
Apr. 4, 1862
My Dear Ellen
   I will embrace this the first leisure moment after my arrival to write you.  I arrived here Yesterday at noon and am middling well, not strong however I think I have improved steadily Since I started, have completely recovered from my Diarrhea and hope to soon be strong.  We are having very warm weather so at least is seems to me **** and the effect is that everything is putting on a robe of green.  The trees are nearly in full leaf altho they are not nearly as forward as usual.  We are encamped about 1 1/2 miles from Pittsburg *** an army 50 to 60000 Strong lying idle.  and from present appearances probably Shall lie here for some time to come.  We are within 18 miles of the Enemy and when they are supposed to be in great force.  We think very strange that we have not been sent forward to the strong point already and a conflict had before this and I begin to think that it is not the intention to fight here.  that it is a tactical Scheme.  adopted to assist Genl McClellan and to enable him Successfully to face the wooden guns in Virginia.
   For instance Suppose Grants column has been sent forward to this point to threaten the communication of the Reels between the Mississippi & which they must regard of great & Vital importance to their interests and in consequenes the Rebel forces are withdrawn from Virginia North Carolina & C to protect that important Communication across the country.  The result would be that McClean might make an advance on the Potomac take Richmond and get a great name & immortal Glory because we had forced his enemy away when they could not hurt him.  I have not much doubt but that a scheme of this Kind is being played & the only danger is it may be carried too far.  they may concentrate & get strong enough to attack and overwelm us But that would be a cheap price for the great glory McClellan would earn in the East.  Well we can hardly be satisfied with such a plan.  It would not do to have the army of the west do all the fighting & win all the victories and therefore theybhey are used to draw off the Enemy from the East & let them take the empty fortifications & wooden guns *** we suppose.  Three weeks ago this army could have taken the Rail Road for 40 miles and held it against any body but now they cannot take any point *** without they are largely reinforced or Depos or lost them on the cars have they been found.  I miss also a lost of towels which I need, but moust do without how **** Your letter to John Bleis has been submitted to me for Perusal.  It is a very good letter yet I have no fault to find.
   Johns Regiment is encamped about half mile from me.  John has been sick again very sick and they thought he was going to die again, but he is again around though weak.  He tried to get leave to come home but they refuse every thing of the Kind now and therefore if sick we have to to make the best we can of it here.  I hope John is all right he looks poor but is evidently gaining & with care will soon be well.
   Write me often and fully I have not much news to write this time **** possibly may write more of interest next time.
I remain yours ever truly & affectionately
Harley Wayne
_________________________________________________________________________________

   Killed in Action at Shiloh approx. 10:00 AM at the Hornets Nest.
Known actions;
Shiloh, Tenn. April 6, 1862

        Article: July 6, 1878 issue Elgin's The Advocate.
   The Dead of Shiloh.
  The dead were buried on the spot; the wounded removed to camp; the rebel camp destroyed, with a large amount of property, and this was the last of the fighting at Shiloh.  The losses sustained by both armies exceeded the frightful numberof 25,000 men.  Four years after the battle, a writer, visiting Shiloh and Corinth, gave a hideous picture of the condition of things.  He stated that 12,000 Confederate soldiers lay unburied on the two fields.  After the battle of Shiloh, Gen. Grant ordered the dead of both armies to be buried.  The inhumatuon, however, consisted of little more than a thin covering of earth, which the heavy rains have, long since, washed off, and the remains of brve men, who periled all for their country's sake, lie exposed to the elements.  This fact is disgraceful to the Government and the people, and should be remedied with the least possible delay.  Instead of squandering means over idle parades, it should be our duty and pleasure to give the bleaching bones of our gallant dead the rites of decent burial.  It is respectfully and earnestly suggested that Congress adopt some measure for the preservation of the remains at Shiloh- that a cemetery be established and graves properly marked; also, that the church of Shiloh be rebuilt as a national memorial.- Col. De Hass, in Philadelphia Times.


   Authors Notes;
   Letters home are transcriptions by Linda Eder, Great Grand-daughter of Capt. Harley Wayne.  Letters used with her permission.  I have omitted parts of the letters dealing with business interests he inquires about of his wife.
   His wife and son moved to Elgin.  His son, Charles H. Wayne, would be voted in as an Elgin Mayor two terms, 1895-96 & 1896-97.

No comments:

Post a Comment